41 days ago

Poll: Should gas heaters be banned?

Libby Wilson Reporter from Hamilton Press

A leaky gas heater sent six people from Melville to hospital - one in serious condition.

Firefighters were called to the smell of gas and found a leaky heater at the scene.

The poisoning has prompted calls to ban heaters like the one involved - something which has already happened in Canada and most of Europe.
Do you think gas heaters should be banned?

Image
Should gas heaters be banned?
  • 47.9% Yes, they're too dangerous.
    47.9% Complete
  • 52.1% No, people need to learn where and how to use them.
    52.1% Complete
  • 0% Other - explain in the comments.
    0% Complete
94 votes
More messages from your neighbours
12 hours ago

Coronavirus: Hamilton residents raise a glass to community spirit

Nicola Brennan-Tupara Reporter from Hamilton Press

Hi neighbours,
The coronavirus has given rise to a number of quirky phenomenon: the elbow bump, teddy bears in windows and, now, driveway drinkies.
In an effort to boost morale and keep connected, residents along Hamilton's Gillies Ave organised a get together, of sorts, on Friday afternoon.
It was strictly BYO as neighbours chatted to each other from the safety of their own driveways or berms.
READ MORE in link below.
What have you been doing to stay connected during this time?

Image
1 day ago

At-Home Fire Safety Checklist

Fire and Emergency from Fire and Emergency New Zealand

With everyone staying home, it’s now more important than ever for everyone to be fire-safe. People can find information on our website - fireandemergency.nz...

We’re heading into winter, and with households self-isolating together, there’ll be more cooking at home, and more use of open fires, heaters, and dryers - all things which can increase fire risk.

New Zealanders can be confident that Fire and Emergency is well-prepared and ready to respond to emergencies as usual during the nationwide self- isolation period.

Please call 111 if you have a fire, we will ask you whether anyone at the address is self-isolating or has a confirmed case of COVID-19. Where this is the case, we already have necessary measures in place to ensure everyone’s safety including protective clothing, gloves, masks, safety glasses and mask.

Image
K
1 day ago

unwell dairy owner Flagstaff supervalue

Kylie from Flagstaff

I have just been to flagstaff supervalue and the owner is coughing and spluttering all over the shop. Yes she is wearing a face mask but that makes no difference when someone is so obviously sick. They should not be open if they are sick! and coughing all over the place! so selfish and irresponsible to their community/ customers. I left the shop without buying and urge others to stay away. I have informed the ministry of health and am awaiting their response.