Make every step count with Red Cross Journey
Red Cross is encouraging Kiwis to take a walk in someone else’s shoes this winter to support people in need.
Red Cross Journey, a new fundraising event running this May, challenges people to follow the real-life journey of a volunteer responding to a disaster or a former refugee seeking safety.
Participants have a month to walk the distance of their chosen journey while raising funds to support people in need. Along the way, they’ll learn more about disaster response or refugee resettlement in New Zealand.
Funds raised will support the work Red Cross does to help people in need in Aotearoa and around the world.
Red Cross Journey – what you need to know:
• Red Cross Journey runs from 8 May to 8 June, but registrations are now open. Head to www.redcrossjourney.org.nz... to sign up or learn more.
• Choose your journey and get walking! Follow Red Cross volunteer Kath as she responds to a disaster or get a team together to follow the Tamim family’s journey to a safer life. You’ll be walking 240kms throughout the month.
• Use an app on your smartphone to measure the steps you’ve walked during the day and enter your total on your Red Cross Journey page. If you don’t have a smartphone, you can calculate the kilometres you’ve walked and enter this distance instead.
• Red Cross Journey is accessible to everyone. If you are less able to walk, you can do the journey in the usual way you get around (apart from driving).
• Red Cross works right across New Zealand – responding to disasters like the Kaikoura earthquake, supporting former refugees, delivering Meals on Wheels, teaching first aid to children and so much more! By raising money through Red Cross Journey, you’ll be helping Red Cross do good things in your community.
I'm writing a story about CCTV security cameras on homes, what's the best system, how to install them, and whether or not they're a useful deterrent.
I wondered what you thought about private security cameras. Are they good for the neighbourhood? Or a sign troubled communities?
If you've got a strong opinion about them, drop me a line and let me know what you think.
92% Yes, they're OK.92% Complete
4.5% I'm not sure.4.5% Complete
3.4% No, they're not OK.3.4% Complete
Ryman’s Peace of Mind guarantees provide a little certainty in your retirement. Our affordable base weekly fee is fixed for life*, our deferred management fee is capped at 20 per cent, one of the lowest around, and villages provide independent living, assisted living and a full range of care options. These are just some of the ways we’re pioneering a new way of living for a new retirement generation.
*Some conditions apply.
Visit our website to find the village that’s right for you.
We are currently in search of book donations for our Annual Bookfair!