Salted herring completes the salted and canned goods quartet that is often used in Russian cuisine. The other three being canned goby fish, salted sprats and smoked mackerel.
Salted, smoked herring or herring in oil traditionally serves with boiled potatoes, chopped chives and crisp dark rye bread.
Also you can prepare special salad, calls "Herring under a Fur Coat". It is a traditional layered salad made of finely chopped pickled herring, eggs, beets, carrots, potatoes and some type of dressing, either mayonnaise or a sour cream base.
Make sure to prepare this salad at least 6 hours in advance so it can be chilled properly and sliced to show off the layers. This pretty salad can be a meat-free meal, side dish or served on a buffet table with other salads.
* 3 large potatoes boiled in their jackets (cooled, peeled, and finely chopped or shredded)
* 4 large unpeeled carrots (boiled, cooled, peeled, and finely chopped or shredded)
* 3 large beets boiled in their skins (cooled, peeled, and finely chopped or shredded)
* 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
* 1 medium or large (depending on taste) red or yellow onion (finely chopped)
* 4 fillets of pickled herring in oil (finely chopped)
* 4 large hard-cooked eggs (finely chopped)
* Black pepper to taste
* Garnish: parsley or dill
Steps to Make It
1. Gather the ingredients.
2. In the same large saucepan, boil 3 large potatoes in their jackets, 4 large unpeeled carrots, and 3 large beets until tender. The carrots will take about 15 to 20 minutes, the potatoes will take about 40 minutes and the beets will take 1 hour or more. Just remove the vegetables that become tender but not mushy and continue cooking the rest.
3. Peel while still warm, cool completely and shred the carrots and beets and finely chop the potatoes.
4. Place a ring mold or the ring from a springform pan on a pretty serving platter. This also can be assembled free form in a round or oval shape or in a 13x9-inch pan.
5. First place the entire portion of chopped potatoes on the bottom, patting into an even layer. Spread 1/3 of the mayonnaise on top to completely cover the potatoes.
6. Place 1/2 of the beets, then 1/2 of the carrots and 1/2 of the finely chopped onion, all of the chopped pickled herring, and 1/3 of the mayonnaise.
7. Then layer the remainder of the onion and carrots, all of the chopped eggs and black pepper to taste, the remainder of the mayonnaise, and the remainder of the beets and pack down.
8. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving
Good news for you! We offer homemade salad in our bakery.
I'm working on a travel story for Stuff about the things that have surprised returning Kiwis about New Zealand. If you have recently returned from overseas or know someone who has, it would be great to hear about the things that have stood out for you, for better or for worse. Whether it's to do with the weather, the cost of things, the public transport, the food, the housing, the people or something else entirely, we'd be keen to hear about it. Please remember that your comment may be included in the article, unless you say you don't want it to be. Thank you.
One of the most scenic hot air balloon flights in the world - among the mountains in Queenstown - has slashed prices by a third to attract Kiwi travellers. Click the link below to read more.
A market in Kerikeri will no longer have golliwogs for sale, after complaints the dolls are a racist stereotype of black people. But some people say the dolls are a harmless reminder of childhood. What do you think?